Location Description and History
We know that at this time he probably was in Tucson and that his daughter Elizabeth did live there. Many historians however, believe that he did not.
John Fremont is an important name in the early history of Arizona. He was an explorer of the American West, a civil war general and in 1880 he was made the fifth governor of the Arizona territory. As governor he did much to improve the financial state of the territory by supporting the railroad industry's production in the area. He did this by helping to utilize the rich soil for harvesting. In 1881 he rented the house from its owners and remained there until he left office the following year. The house's historical importance rests on the belief that he lived there, but the house is also central to Tucson history. This land where the house was built has a great historical significance, because there were numerous other inhabitants who lived there.
The house is adobe with plaster coating over the surface of the house sitting at the end of a brick walkway, but it is not that different from other adobe structures in Tucson. The house itself is very out of place when one is standing in the middle of the Convention Center. To the left of the house is the Music Hall, which is a huge ugly cement building that shoots straight up out of the ground and into the bright blue sky. The Music Hall is a drab tan building with vertical grooves running down the wall to attempt an appealing look. To the right of the house is the City Convention Center. The house sits right in the middle of a courtyard of the Convention Center. When you are standing and looking at it directly, it is hard to imagine that this house once sat in the middle of the barrio. Another hard thing to imagine is that there once was a major street here, just a few feet from the front door of the house known as Main Street. There are five brownish red doors across the front of the house. The door in the middle is the main entrance into the Sosa-Carrillo Fremont House. The rest of the building, white and very clean, must hide the history inside.
Although only two families ever owned the house many people rented it. Each person added his or her own history and the only way to get a full sense of this history is to experience the house first hand. By walking where so many had walked before, by standing where so much Tucson history took place, it is easy to understand how this house helped shape Tucson and feel what these inhabitants experienced.
About 1836 Jose Maria Sosa received the land grant for the land that the Sosa - Carrillo Fremont house now resides on. At that time, Tucson was still a walled village with only one main street. He owed thirteen acres in Tucson mission field. The field lay about where the La Quinta Inn motel is near today's St Mary Road.
One of Jose Sosa's sons, Manuel Sosa, was then gifted the land during his marriage. He was the first justice of peace for the US Army. He served as a scout until he was killed in an Apache raid in 1850. His widow, Luisa Campa; married his brother Calistio and sold the land grant in 1853 to the Carrillo family. The Sosa family then relocated to the Tempe area to start a new family.
The house had only two rooms and in 1875 was expanded to seven rooms and built in a style common to Arizona-Sonora architecture. Homes prior to the 1860's were built entirely of organic material. They were built of mud brick. Their roof construction deserves some mention for its uniqueness. The roofs were usually one to two feet thick when done, depending the house size. After the walls were built, many heavy pine timbers lay across the tops of the wall which supported the weight of the roof. Saguaro cactus ribs and ocotillo cactus stalks were placed on top of these. Finally hay, adobe mortar, and dry earth formed the weatherproof roof. Sometimes in the event of the summer torrential rainstorm, waters would cause these roofs to collapse onto unfortunate residents. The floors were originally hard-packed dirt, which were eventually covered with canvas sheets and rugs.
As more and more settlers came to Tucson, more building material came with them and such building advancements were able to take place. Some rooms were covered with wooden floors. Up until 1880 adobe brick was an abundant, and well used material, but it had no great structural strength; walls had to be massive and solid with few voids. The average of these exterior walls 22" to 30" thick and inside walls were 10 to 24 inches thick. The outside of the abode structure were usually a lime white wash or veneer lime plaster. Most houses had hard packed dirt floors and then rough sawn pine planks by the end of the 1880's.
Therefore, these ghosts could be a number of people who have died in the house. Carrillo and his wife both died in the house and it is very likely that throughout the years, others have died there. The whole house has the feeling of being friendly and warm. When I asked Ms. Richards, if anyone ever had been murdered at the Sosa -Carillo Fremont House, she said that as far as she knew no had. Bette told me that many people have died there. Perhaps the house is haunted, and if it is, it's one of many haunted houses that are found in Tucson.
This ghost hunt was done in conjunction 93.7 KRQ for their Halloween special. The ghost hunt was prerecorded and would be aired on the 31st of October. We arrived with Polo (Producer) and Donovan (D.J.) around 8:00pm. We were greeted at the door by several of the museum staff and many guests that had been invited to attend.
For the focus of this ghost hunt, we decided to focus mainly on the breezeway although we did search other areas of the house and property. After performing a brief search for strange EM fields, the lights were turned off as various people moved about the house in search of something unusual. This was when the first problem of the evening raised its head. There were far too many people moving about, making our efforts very difficult. Bob quickly remedied the problem by leading all of the guests outside to the rear of the house to search out there. Now we were able to get a better overview of the building.
after taking two photographs that had unusual shadows in them, Cody set up a camera position by the front door with the Trifield meter placed next to the mirror that the museum staff would often see figures in. After about 15 minutes, the alarm on the Natural Trifield meter went off and Cody began taking photographs of the area. The first picture clearly showed an anomalous image and while the flash on the camera was charging up, Polo walked in through the back door, on his way to talk to Cody about a strange noise that the rest of the group heard outside. Cody took a second picture and the image was still there.
As the flash was charging, Polo walked across the room and just as he crossed the area near the Trifield, a third picture was taken. Immediately, Polo stopped and stated that he had just walked through "something". The third photograph also contains the same anomalous image, with Polo walking through it.
Having just met Polo hours before, Cody did not want to freak him out so he innocently asked why he though that he walked through "something". Polo had visible goose bumps on his arms and said that that area (in front of the mirror) was really cold. Odd, because the building does not have air conditioning. The flash recharged again and the fourth photo revealed an orb-like image in the photo. The anomalous image had disappeared.
The team met up shortly afterwards and the photographs were downloaded into a laptop computer for the museum staff and guests to see.
Further searches of the building revealed nothing of interest, although the radio station had gotten so excited over the photographs that they forgot all about the psychic, who was left waiting outside the front door for several hours.
Click on the thumbnails to view the larger image
Back to Haunted Arizona
Back to SGHA Home