Squeezed into Mule Pass Gulch of the Mule
Mountains, the old mining town Bisbee has a lot of character. A
tiny mining camp in 1877, Bisbee grew into a solid and wealthy town
by 1910. The side canyon Brewery Gulch held more than 50 saloons
in the early 1900s, earning a reputation as the best drinking and
entertainment venue in the territory. Many of the fine commercial
buildings and Victorian houses built in the boom years still stand.
Many of these historic places have lingering spirits from the town's
past within their walls.
The famous old "Queen" was built
by the Copper Queen Mining Company (later Phelps Dodge Corporation)
shortly after the turn of the century, when Bisbee was the largest
mining town in the world... a bustling metropolis of over 20,000
population with two opera houses and many permanent brick buildings.
The hotel played host to mining executives,
traveling men, territorial governors and the flamboyant types of
the Old West. The Arizona territory was still a decade from statehood
and Apache raiding parties were a menace to stagecoach travelers.
Bisbee in 1905
While the Copper Queen Saloon was the gathering
place for "officials and politicos" around the corner
"Brewery Gulch," named after Muheim's Brewery, provided
diversion for the miners with a number of bars and a vast number
of shady ladies.
While the town of Bisbee has "grown
up," it has not lost its charm. Soon after Bisbee became a
town, the Copper Queen Hotel came about as a place for dignitaries
and weary miners to rest their hats.
The Copper Queen is in the middle of the
photo at the end of the street (left). Though Bisbee was founded
in 1880, itís history reaches back for centuries. In 1534, Spanish
conquistadors came through looking for gold. Over the next 300 years,
Spanish and Mexican settlers, pioneers, cowboys, and Native Americans,
including the great Apache warriors, Geronimo and Cochise, walked
Not unlike its rowdy neighbor, Tombstone, Bisbeeís
character and legend can be traced back to Western vigilantes, rowdy saloons,
brawling miners, gunfights and a colorful cast of characters people are
still talking about.
Bisbeeís waltz with copper thrived throughout the
1920s and even hung on through the 1970s when the mines closed down.
The spirit of young woman occupies the Copper Queen
Hotel. She has appeared in both the Café and in Room 318.
The 3rd floor is the most active part of the hotel.
Guests and staff have reported doors opening and closing by themselves
and electrical appliances operating on their own accord. Cold spots in
the rooms and hallways often accompany this activity.
Room 412 - Windows
open and close
Room 308 - Bathroom door opens and closes
Room 304 - Doorknob to room jiggles and locks
Room 210 - Stomping noises are heard and
toothpaste has shot across the room by itself. The sounds of a lady singing
have been reported and lights flicker.
Room 303 - Bags of chips were spread out
across the floor and chairs were moved against the door. Cigar smells
is also detected on occasion.
Elevator jams and voices are sometimes heard inside.
The apparition of a little boy crying has been sighted on the 4th floor.
A apparition called "Billy" is associated with Room 312. He
is described has having a long nose.
The focus of this ghost hunt was the third floor
of the building although we did perform an entire search of the whole
hotel. We used a coupling technique with our cameras by positioning ourselves
at separate ends of the third floor hallway and taking photos one after
the other in an attempt to photograph the same "orb" with both
cameras, ruling out the possibility of dust or other airborne contaminants.
The Trifield meter was used as a triggering mechanism to signal when the
photographers should take their pictures. Using this method we did locate
several interesting objects with "orb-like" qualities.
We also rented Room 318 for the night and were
able to set up some investigative equipment inside the room. Nothing of
interest was found.
The two most interesting photos obtained
during this ghost hunt were taken on the third floor.
As we searched the third floor, we noticed
that we occasionally picked up a reading of 4 nanotesla @17Hz on the Trifield
meter when we moved around the southwest corner of the third floor.
This reading would hold briefly then vanish, with attempts to reacquire
it being unsuccessful.
After noticing this effect for the fourth
time, we positioned two photographers at the ends of the hallway.
The Trifield meter was set up in sum mode at the southwest corner
of the hall.
When the Trifield meter sounded an alarm,
the photographer stationed in the southeast corner would take a
photograph first, followed immediately by the photographer in the
southwest corner. This timing was to prevent the photographer's
from capturing the flash from each others cameras.
After testing the technique several times,
the Trifield meter was turned on and the team waited. After approximately
thirty minutes, the alarm sounded (2 n.t. Reading) and the photographs
taken are shown on the right.