Abo State Monument. Ruins left by former tompiros division of the Pito Indians, on Arroyo Empedradillo. First mentioned in 1598 by Juan de Onate. Became seat of Mission of San Gregorio, founded 1629 by Fray Francisco de Acevedo, who erected a large church and monastery, the walls of which are still standing.
Mysterious glowing balls of light have been seen floating about the ruins of the mission. Some claim that they are lantern lights from a previous caretaker while others suggest that they are the phantom torches carried by the ghosts of the Spanish missionaries.
To view our full report, click on the link below.